* Hire a cleaning service. A spotlessly clean home is essential; dirt will turn off a prospect faster than anything.
* Mow your lawn, and be sure toys and yard equipment are put away.
* Serve cookies, coffee, and soft drinks. But be sure the kitchen has been cleaned up; use disposable cups.
* Lock up your valuables, jewelry, and money.
* Turn on all the lights. Even in the daytime, incandescent lights add sparkle.
* Send your pets to a neighbor or take them outside. If that's not possible, crate them or confine them to one room.
* Leave. It's awkward for prospective buyers to look in your closets and express their opinions of your home with you there.
* Put fresh or silk flowers in principal rooms for a touch of color.
* Add a new shower curtain, fresh towels, and new guest soaps to every bath.
* Set out potpourri or fresh baked goods for a homey scent.
* Set the table with pretty dishes and candles.
* Buy a fresh doormat with a clever saying.
* Take a couple major pieces of furniture out of every room to create a sense of spaciousness.
* Put away kitchen appliances and personal bathroom items to give the illusion of more counter space.
* Light a fire in the fireplace or put a fresh basket of flowers there if it's not in use.